Back Pain #1 Cause Of Disability
“Back Pain Is Now The #1 Cause Of Disability Worldwide”
A series of studies emerging from the Global Burden of Disease 2010 Project, a massive collaboration between the World Health Organization, the Institute for Health Metrics & Evaluation, the University of Queensland School of Population Health, Harvard School of Public Health, John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, and the University of Tokyo, Imperial College London, clarifies the worldwide health burden of musculoskeletal conditions, particularly back & neck pain, in crystal-clear fashion, with lower back pain identified as the number-one cause of disability world-wide and neck pain the number-four cause.
Overall, musculoskeletal conditions represent the second leading cause of global disability.
Findings emphasize the shift in global health that has resulted from disability making an increasingly larger footprint on the burden of disease compared to a mere 20-30 years ago.
In addition, while more people are living longer, the flip-side is that they do so with an increasing risk of living with the burden of pain, disability & disease compared to past generations.
Dr Scott Haldeman, who chaired the 2000-2010 Bone and Joint Task Force on Neck Pain and Its Associated Disorders, and is currently president and CEO of World Spine Care, provides an analysis of the Global Burden of Disease 2010 findings, highlighted as follows:
• Musculoskeletal conditions such as low back pain, neck pain and arthritis affect more than 1.7 billion people worldwide and have a greater impact on the health of the world population ( death & disability ) than HIV/AIDS, tropical diseases including malaria, the forces of war and nature, and all neurological conditions combined.
• When considering death & disability in the health equation, musculoskeletal disorders cause 21.3% of all years lived with disability ( YLD’s ), second only to mental and behavioral disorders, which account for 22.7% of YLD’s.
• Musculoskeletal conditions represent the 6th leading cause of death & disability, with only cardiovascular and circulatory diseases, neonatal diseases, neoplasms, and mental and behavioral disorders accounting for more death and disability worldwide.
• Low back pain is the most dominant musculoskeletal condition, accounting for nearly one-half of all musculoskeletal YLD’s. Neck pain accounts for one-fifth of musculoskeletal YLD’s.
• Low back pain is the sixth most important contributor to the global disease burden ( death & disability ), and has a greater impact on global health than malaria, pre-term birth complications, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease ( COPD ), tuberculosis, diabetes or lung cancer.
• When combined with neck pain ( 21st most important contributor to the global disease burden – death and disability ), painful spinal disorders are second only to ischemic heart disease in terms of their impact on the global burden of disease. Spinal disorders have a greater impact than HIV/AIDS, malaria, lower respiratory infections, stroke, breast & lung cancer combined, Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, depression or traffic injuries.
• Current estimates suggest that 632.045 million people worldwide suffer from low back pain and 332.049 million people worldwide suffer from neck pain.
“ The Global Burden of Disease Study provides indisputable evidence that musculoskeletal conditions are an enormous and emerging problem in all parts of the world and need to be given the same priority for policy and resources as other major conditions like cancer, mental health and cardiovascular disease,” says Dr Haldeman.
It is important to note here that chiropractic care is the treatment of choice for most musculoskeletal conditions.
Lower back pain & neck pain are two of the most common conditions that we can help.
Not only is it the treatment of choice, but it has been proven time & time again to be highly effective for both of these conditions.
Chiropractic care also deals specifically with the cause as opposed to drugs, medications and surgery which deal with the effects or symptoms only.
You do not need a medical referral for chiropractic care.
You can call directly to schedule an appointment for your first visit.
We would welcome the opportunity to have you join our practice.
Our phone number is 905 335 LIFE ( 5433 ).
An ounce of prevention is worth a hundred pounds of cure when it comes to your spine because it can never, ever be replaced.You do not have to leave your best years at your place of employment.
You do have a choice.